MAJOR TRUCKING CORRIDOR
- SR162 is already a level 2 route (second highest DOT rating) for freight and goods.
- Over 1000 truck-trailer combinations travel the corridor daily
- Majority of the 1000 plus trucks travel between the hours of 6am and 5pm.
- Tehaleh is an employment-based community which will further increase truck traffic on SR162
BUSINESS ACCESS AND EGRESS
- Without two-way turn lanes, businesses along SR162 will be drastically affected by the increased volume of traffic
- Left turns into businesses cause traffic flow interruptions and this will get worse
- Entering and leaving SR162 is currently dangerous, but increased volume will make it even more risky
- Traffic metered by roundabouts will not allow for the interruptions in traffic that now exists with traffic lights for access and egress
- State may require right turns only to enter SR162 greatly impacting businesses and residents
- Limited access equals limited sales for businesses operating along SR162
"FARM TO MARKET" CORRIDOR
- Farmers depend upon the SR162 corridor to move their goods
- Today's valley farms depend upon consumers coming to them to sell their crops
- Congested traffic restricts the draw of customers to their businesses
SEASONAL BUSINESS IMPACTS
- How do you think SR162 volume will impact the seasonal access to valley farms?
- Orting valley farming has been a fixture of this valley for centuries
- Daffodil season was once a major attraction to this area, but today...
- Spring brings nursery customers to the fields
- Summer brings the berry lovers to the valley
- Autumn congests the highway with pumpkin patch customers
- Winter brings flocks of customers to the many valley tree farms
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED
- Letter writing or direct contact with state legislators and WSDOT officials is your most effective action
- We have made letter writing easier with templates, names, and contact information
- Time is your concern and ours but taking just a few minutes here will maybe reduce the time you sit in your car in the years ahead
- Visit our "PLEASE HELP" page to become part of the SR162 traffic solution